FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Took the DLPT today

So I took the DLPT for French this morning. It was a lot longer than I remembered.  I last took the DLPT about two years ago.  I didn't study at all and scored a 2+/2+.

This time around I applied myself and studied a bit and scored a 2/3 (listening/reading).  I feel disappointed but I also have a much better idea of the level at which I need to be studying to score a 3/3.  I will try again in November.

When I study for any language test, I do the following:

I listen to french news podcasts, as well as french weather broadcasts.  I listen to plenty of news stories that have interviews--this is a weakness of mine.

I read french news and magazine articles (more so the magazine articles).   I  keep a database of words that I don't know and reviewed them regularly.  I pay particular attention to words that had to do with: healthcare, gangs and immigration.



2 comments:

  1. I am interested in challenging the test for French. How is the test set up? Do you remember specific questions?

    ReplyDelete