FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"5" from Rabearivelo's From the Night (Nadika Tamin'ny Alina)

"5" from Rabearivelo's From the Night (Nadika Tamin'ny Alina)

Love this poem, especially that last line--what a raw and true sentiment.

5
You sleep, my darling;
you sleep in her arms, my youngest child
I do not see your eyes, heavy with night,
which shine like beads of real gold
or like ripe grapes.

A gust of fine wind half-opens our door,
puffs up your thin dress
and ruffles your hair,
then sweeps a paper from my table,
which I chase to the threshold.

I lift my head,
and there in my hand is the poem just begun:
your eyes blink in the sky
and I call the poem: STARS.



No comments:

Post a Comment