FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Monday, August 2, 2010

The best part of waking up...."Loving your enemies doesn't mean killing them"

NOTE:  For those who don't know,  every Monday morning the Pentagon allows only the biggest idiots best and brightest dissenters to post up on the grassy area by the Metro entrance escalators and display their signs. 

PENTAGON PROTESTER OF THE WEEK!

Okay a new weekly entry (hopefully) each Monday: "THE BEST PART OF WAKING UP"  where I will highlight one protester sign. 

Mondays mornings are usually the pits...
But no matter how dire the case of Mondays I may have, I always get a smile as I walk off the escalator towards security because of these intrepid 'protesters':

(HERE IS WHERE I WOULD PUT A SNAPSHOT OF THEM IF WE WERE ALLOWED TO TAKE PICTURES IN OR AROUND THE PENTAGON)

Every Monday (they seem to fade off sharply after Monday) there are about 5 or 6 people with handpainted signs just staring at the cattle herd of us headed to work.  I wonder if they think that some LCDR or CAPT is going to see their signs and suddenly, single-handedly decide to "End the War" and "Bring our Troops Home!"...yup, I am sure that LCDR will walk write over the CNO's office and fix everything!

But this week's entry:  "Loving your enemies doesn't mean killing them" gave me a good chuckle for several reasons.  Perhaps, they got mixed up and didn't realize that the military's rules aren't necessarily based on biblical precepts.  Furthermore, just who is their audience here, am I supposed to see that sign and have a 'doh' moment? 

Oh, I totally forgot that I was supposed to hug and cuddle with my enemies NOT kill them (since that's what we are definitely doing).

And of course this leads me to the next logical question, just what does 'love your enemies mean'?

Thoughts anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment