FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Zanzibar Chest Chronicles continues (endorsement)

Strong endorsement for The Zanzibar Chest.

Zanzibar Chest is a magnificent book. I met Hartley briefly when we were both reporters in Mogadishu. I was immediately struck by his force of personality and inner turmoil (I asked where he was from and he told me he was a white African). ...I grabbed his book as soon as it was published.
- Vince Crawley, U.S. Africa Command Public Affairs

No comments:

Post a Comment