FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Monday, November 22, 2010

Pentagon Protesters, I implore you! Step up your game!

NOTE:  For those who don't know,  every Monday morning the Pentagon allows only the biggest idiots best and brightest dissenters to post up on the grassy area by the Metro entrance escalators and display their signs. 


A column that I began with considerable vigor and gusto has deflated.  There will be no protester of the week this week.  For the past several weeks I have readied my Iphone voice memo app as I ascended the Pentagon metro escalator, eager to record my thoughts on the jaded warped interesting protester signs.  But each week I have been met not with new and timely demands of the Department of Defense.  Nay, instead I am met with yellowed, smudged, tired old signs that don’t appear to have been updated in decades.  This surprises me because you would think if you were motivated enough as a protester to go through ALL the effort of showing up every Monday morning, you would also be motivated enough to create new signs that would garner the attention of the rank and file Pentagon employees.  
Amid such tedium my only option would be to comment on the interesting protester choices of attire—such as the older gentlemen sporting the classic “Birken-socks” look and the other middle-aged man wearing the moose ears stocking cap.  But really, I feel like this is reaching a bit and that my readers deserve more.  They deserve witty biting commentary on the ridiculous insanity  different signs.  And as such, I am only as good as the material with which I work.  Therefore:

I am boycotting YOU protesters!  Until you bring me something new, some original thought, I will cease to comment on your efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment