FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Monday, November 8, 2010

Today the FAO Lat Transfer Board Meets!

So today the biannual Lateral Transfer/Redesignation Board meets.  I am hoping that it will be: fourth times a charm...(to be fair, on one of the previous three applications I wasn't eligible yet but applied anyway hoping for a waiver from the aviation community---fat chance there).

Supposedly they are going to be picking close to 20 people this board which is good.  The bad part is I haven't seen this year's quota sheet (Last year's quota sheet) so I don't know what my chances really are.  In case you didn't know, the quota sheet has the number of people each community (HSC, VFA, submarine, surface warfare) will let go broken down by year group (year you graduated college-basically).  This kind of sucks because even if you don't owe your community any more time, they might still not be letting anyone from your year group go for a variety of reasons (they need Department heads, billets filled etc...)...so they would rather I get out of the Navy because I don't want to stay in the community than let me stay in the Navy doing something else.  And then there's a whole ranking of which communities get to pick people for their community broken down by year groups just to add a little more black magic to the scenario...ugh.

So personally, I think the whole system leaves a little something to be wanted but then again, I don't have a solution either so I am loathe to linger on the subject too much.

All you can really do is put together the best application you can, and then just hope and pray...and wait two months for the results.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment