FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Poet of the Week from Botswana: Baralong Seboni

Poet of the Week from Botswana: Baralong Seboni 


Happy Thanksgiving!  This week's poet of the week is Baralong Seboni from Botswana!  Following is a link in which the poet explains the reason he writes.   I especially enjoyed his comment at the paper's closing in which he explains 'how' he writes: "I simply shut my mouth, open my mind and listen to my heart."  

I thought that his poem below was one to which I could relate.  I enjoyed that he didn't mask a straightforward message behind layers of metaphors.  Sometimes it's enough just to say it.

Love that

Inner sense
Of innocence
That craves eternally
The momentary
Experience in
The oneness
Of
twosome

Some of my favorite poetry books:

No comments:

Post a Comment