FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

For the Metro Ride Home: More Southern Sudans, Cellphone Civil Wars and Stetsons in Africa

Now here would be a great app: one that allows me to download a series of articles to my phone (or IPAD..one day) to read on my metro ride home (the majority of that ride I don't have an internet connection). 

Here are the articles I would read today (and yes, they are biased towards The Atlantic Monthly...sue me; it's just about my favorite magazine, aside from Cooks Illustrated--and don't snicker until you've read CI--if you are a clueless guy whose always wondered why his scrambled eggs or boneless skinless chicken breasts are inedible, CI will be an epiphany!).

This article is certainly a controversial one but definitely contains some ideas that merit debate and discussion.  The author also has a book on the FUUO Book List.  After South Sudan: The Case to Keep Dividing Africa  by G. Pascal Zachary. 


 
This article is sure to make you feel a twinge of guilt...especially if you are reading it on your smartphone.  I also learned that the mineral 'tungsten' is what makes my cell phone vibrate...who knew!  Is Your Cell Phone Fueling Civil War in Congo? by Erin Banco.  And there's no need to put your cellphone down just yet--the criminals/murderers/thugs/rapists are still going to be the evil scumbags they are with or without a mineral demand signal.


An interesting historical (if biased) look at the US' role throughout the years leading up to July 9th.  Worth the read if for nothing more than the accompanying photo of President Salva Kiir rocking a Stetson with President Bush.  US Played Key Role in Southern Sudan's Long Journey to Independence by Rebecca Hamilton.

Texas In Africa is an informative and solid blog I read every day (and follow on twitter).  I came across the following two articles from his post today:

When I first read Kristof's article I thought it was an okay read.  After I read Bohnstedt's blistering rebuttal to it, I was reminded that I am a neophyte idiot still have much to learn and need to read these fluff pieces with a much more discerning eye.
An African Adventure, and a Revelation by Nicholas Kristof.

If you are interested in Maritime Safety and Security then Information Dissemination should be on your daily read list (it's on mine).  And I am not just saying that because he gave FUUO a shoutout in his post below: http://www.informationdissemination.net/2011/07/river-wars.html


Links:








No comments:

Post a Comment