FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Friday, March 25, 2011

If you have an NKO (Navy Knowledge Online) account you have free language training

There's no need to waste your money on Rosetta Stone, when you can use a far superior product for free: CL-150. 

NOTE:  However, you can get online access to a version of Rosetta Stone via your base or Pentagon library.  Just pop by there and they will fill you in. 


If you have a NKO (Navy Knowledge Online) account you have free language training (If you have FAOWeb access you can also access CL-150 for free).  You just need to log in to your account and go to the learning tab and follow the instructions.  The best part is that because it's sanctioned by the Navy, you are able to download and install this program on your NMCI computer.  That means while some other program is frozen on your computer, you can plug through flashcards on CL-150.  Evidently you can also download it to your Iphone once you register online.  One of the things I look forward to most about this software is that they have DLPT-style tests that you can take to prepare.  I am updating my DLPT for French at the end of April so I will post an update with my opinions on well the prep software measures up. 

After taking the French test I am going to work my way through the Portuguese software for 5 months and see how I do.  I don't know any Portuguese so this will be a good test.  I will be sure to share my observations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment