FAO Quotables

"But being right, even morally right, isn't everything. It is also important to be competent, to be consistent, and to be knowledgeable. It's important for your soldiers and diplomats to speak the language of the people you want to influence. It's important to understand the ethnic and tribal divisions of the place you hope to assist."
-Anne Applebaum

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Poet of the Week from the Cote D'Ivoire: Joseph Miezan Bognini

An old school poet from the Cote D'Ivoire this week.   Here's to the hope (l'espoir) for happy days in the IC's future (A l'espoir pour les jours joyeux a l'avenir de Cote D'Ivoire).


Joseph Miezan Bognini

My Days Overgrown (from Ce dur appel de l’espoir 1960)

My days overgrown with coffee blossoms,
My childhood has lost its meaning.

The hated one has eaten
Can never be destroyed

Misfortune, I am misfortune.
And my shadow has betrayed me;
Suffering, I am suffering,
Inexperienced at the breast of mankind.

I wish you were music
Rocking the thirsty hearts from afar.

You will carry me away one day
Wrapped in white 12  Questions

1.  What’s your favorite TV show back home?

2. What’s your favorite movie?

3. What’s your favorite food?

4.  Who’s your favorite author in your country?

5.  Who’s your favorite poet?

6.  What’s a classic dessert in your country?

7.  Cultural faux-pas in your home country you most often see committed?

8.  False/true stereotypes about your countrymen?

9.  How many languages do you speak?

10.  Anything that has shocked you about the culture here in the United States?

11.  Favorite food here in the United States?

12.  What’s your favorite holiday?
robes
Into another world.

I have become a grain of sand
Drifting along trembling beaches.

You will bring me asylum
That knows the pain of this night.

You changed your face,
I took you by the hand

And we spent happy days. 



FUUO Past Poets of the Week:
http://fuuo.blogspot.com/2012/05/african-poets-of-week-compilation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment